As with any air conditioning system, heating systems require maintenance to prevent unexpected failures. Bay Area Heating and Cooling, Inc. recommends preventing system failures by arranging for a heating maintenance checkup. Heating maintenance will allow a technician to comb through your system to identify potential week points and make recommendations to avoid system downtime.
During a heating maintenance visit, the technician will test all the components of the heating system. Checking all electrical components by measuring amp and voltage draw to verify they are within manufacture tolerance, checking refrigerant pressures during the heating mode and monitoring the system as it cycles through defrost mode will enable the technician to diagnose any impending problems.
The winter of 2009 was amongst the coldest on record. Many Floridians who had never performed any maintenance on their heating system were left without heat in some of the coldest weeks of the year. Many heating supply houses exhausted their inventory of parts which led to excessive back orders.
In many cases, a simple heating maintenance call before the cold weather would have prevented unexpected system downtime. This would allow time to acquire any older hard to find parts before the cold weather of winter is upon us.
Some steps the homeowner can perform to avoid system failures:
- Test the system in the heating mode prior to the cold weather.
- Change the filter in your air handler or furnace.
- Have a heating maintenance checkup before the heating season.
- Ensure gas valves are open and pilot lights are lit.
- Inspect any gas lines for leaks. If gas is detected, call a professional.
- Ensure bushes and foliage are cut back at least 12” from the heat pump condenser.
Don’t be the one suffering without heat this winter by scheduling a heating maintenance checkup now. Please call Bay Area Heating and Cooling, Inc. at (727) 565-4555